Mountain ash is a hardwood
Mountain ash - little known as a wood, but very high quality
|Measured value description||value|
|Bulk density||0.67-0.90 g / cc|
|Compressive strength||45 - 55 N / mm²|
|Flexural strength||93-108 N / mm²|
Other designations and DIN designation
The mountain ash is a tree that is very common in Europe and has been used for many millennia. Accordingly, there are also diverse and very different names for the tree and the wood:
- Atlas wood
- Silk wood
- Atlas berry wood
- Rowanberry wood
- Swiss pear tree
The grain is very irregular, annual rings are clearly visible in the wood. The structure looks simple but elegant and is very similar to that of pear wood.
Unlike the classic pear wood, the wood of the mountain ash is much more reddish in color. This is a good way to distinguish the two types of wood.
Mountain ash wood is only moderately hard, but dense and heavy. A lot of force is required for processing, tools should be hardened as far as possible.
Shrinkage and drying
The drying process requires a lot of care, as there is a high tendency to crack and warp. The shrinkage behavior is very pronounced in mountain ash wood.
Mountain ash wood is neither weatherproof nor resistant to fungal and insect attack. It is therefore not possible to use it outdoors.
Mountain ash wood is used as much as possible in the same way as classic pear wood, that is, mainly for carving and turning work. Because of its high dimensional accuracy, measuring instruments, slide rules and musical instruments are also made from mountain ash wood.
The mountain ash is native everywhere in Central Europe, smaller stocks can also be found in North Africa and the Middle East. These stands are of no importance for forestry.
Mountain ash wood generally costs between 1,600 and 2,200 EUR per m³ in the timber trade. This makes it many times more expensive than the original pear wood (1,400 - 1,600 EUR per m³).
Here you will find an overview of the most important types of wood worldwide. You can find an overview of the most important tropical wood species, such as Angelique, here
- What is msid on a cellphone
- What is metacentric height
- Which lifestyles make you attractive
- Can yoga help mentally
- Why do I sweat more?
- How does electricity affect the heat
- May straight men like Taylor Swift songs
- Who can wipe your tears away
- Why do we get dark circles
- Human antibodies reach the brain
- Which is the highest paying OCR library
- Can hamstrings cause knee pain
- How do I download Roblox
- Is India's Sukhoi HAL FGFA project dead
- What are the most thought-provoking questions
- Which is the largest lagoon in India
- Which country has the strongest coffee culture?
- What will people never learn
- When does street style darken the runway
- Who actually needs a big house?
- What are some Korean birthday wish phrases
- Print media are good or not
- How do I cook Yorkshire pudding
- I don't know what secrets there are