Cats may be allergic to bee stings

Small sting with bad consequences

© C.Pfister
(BTK / Berlin). In summer, of all times, when the terrace table is covered with cake, lemonade or other sweet delicacies, wasps are particularly annoying and appear en masse - at least it feels like it. A feeling that is not deceptive: due to the early onset of spring, the insects of the hymenoptera order had more time for their development and were able to raise a few more generations.

The danger of being stung by a wasp is now particularly high - also for our dogs or cats, who like to snap at the flying insects or cheerfully hit a wasp with their paws. “A wasp or bee sting is not so tragic for a dog or cat. But quick action is required if the insect is swallowed or the animal is stung in the throat or throat area, ”says Prof. Dr. Theo Mantel, President of the Federal Veterinary Association. A severe allergic reaction to a sting is also possible, which is accompanied by life-threatening symptoms such as swelling of the windpipe, shortness of breath, circulatory collapse or shock. “You should never underestimate a wasp or bee sting and watch the animal closely. A prick in the paw can usually be recognized by a clear swelling and by licking and nibbling on the affected area, ”the veterinarian advises.

To be able to help quickly, here are a few tips:

• In contrast to a wasp sting, when a bee stings, the stinger remains stuck in the skin. If you dare to, you can carefully pull it out at the base of the spike with tweezers.

• The first and best help is to cool the affected area. You can z. B. with cold and wet towels, a cooling battery or with a piece of frozen food from the freezer. Caution: Never place the cooling elements directly on the skin, always wrap them in a towel!

• To avoid inflammation, the bite should not be scratched or bitten open by the animal.

• Cooling gels, ointments and lotions stored in the refrigerator can be applied thinly to the skin and act there against swelling, pain and itching.

• In the event of an allergic shock: the animal should be warmed, rested and placed softly. Keep your airways free as far as possible and consult a veterinarian immediately, because shock threatens your life!

• If your dog or cat is known to be allergic to stings, your veterinarian can prescribe prophylactic medication that can be administered quickly in an emergency.

• If in doubt, it is better to visit the vet once too much than not at all, because a small bite can have bad consequences under certain circumstances!