Is it possible to overfeed carnivorous plants?
There is nothing exciting about animals eating plants.
However, if plants eat animals, that is extraordinary. Carnivorous plants can be found on every continent. They live in nutrient-poor moors or in barren locations. The plants can only extract a few nutrients from their location, so they have to use nutrients that "fly past". They have transformed their leaves into nifty death traps. With their sweet nectar scent and splendid colors, the plants promise the insects a special treat. But seduction leads to death. Instead of sucking nectar, the insect itself is sucked out. This is how the carnivorous plants supply themselves with additional nutrients.
All insectivors love a bright window seat, regardless of the direction of the compass.
High humidity has a particularly good effect on the plants. This can be achieved with large coasters that always have some water in them, or by planting the plants in a glass terrarium. The plants love this terrarium climate. Due to the large volume of soil, the roots can spread better, the soil stores more water and always gives off water to the plants. The glass vessel increases the humidity, which is very good for the plants.
For planting a terrarium, it is best to use our special soil for carnivorous plants. If you cannot get this, use pure natural peat without fertilizer! In the frost-free time, the plants can also be set up in partial shade in the garden. Outdoor cultivation in the swamp bed or the bog corner in the garden realm is possible with Sarraceniapurpurea, Droserabinata and the Venus flytrap. The plants should be planted out for this in May / June.
Sarracenia, the pitcher plant, and Dionea, the Venus flytrap, should be wintered as cool as possible, e.g. on an unheated staircase window. Sundew, butterwort, pitcher plant and the water hose can be overwintered at normal room temperature, light and humid.
Note:Carnivores are swamp plants. Always keep moist and water with soft water (rainwater). Light location, do not use fertilizer!
Carnivorous plants are easy to grow. As swamp dwellers, they all love moisture and can tolerate waterlogging over a longer period of time, for example during vacation. Use rainwater, it works best! If this is not available to you, mix distilled or demineralized water with tap water in a ratio of 2: 1. If you have very soft tap water below 10 ° German hardness (can be requested from the waterworks), use 50% of it. Hard and very hard irrigation water is unsuitable for carnivores. The potting soil should always be moist. In the case of very large plants, e.g. Sarracenia or the sundew species, there should always be some water in the saucer.
The carnivores do not tolerate fertilizer. They get the necessary nutrients from the insects they catch. Of course, they can also be fed, and you can watch how the plant digests its prey. However, the plants should not be overfed with trapped insects. Carnivorous plants, like all other plants, have green leaves that help them assimilate. That's why they don't starve to death if they don't get any prey!
Basic rules for beginners!
1. Pour only with soft water (rain water, distilled water).
2. Do not fertilize !!!
3. Repot only in special soil.
4. Always provide sufficiently large pots or containers for the plants.
5. Avoid dry heating air (need increased humidity).
6. Never take carnivores from nature.
- Can I shop with Bitcoins on Amazon?
- What do Bangaloreeans think of BMTC buses
- What is the most philosophical rock song
- Cleanse yourself when you feel sick
- The BHIM app works offline
- Why is traffic dropping on the Huffington Posts
- What is meant by qualified
- Who is the President of India 29
- There may be bruises after death
- Why does Bollywood encourage stupidity
- What else do I propose
- What are SMASHDOCs
- Which are the lightest non-flammable gases
- How did Chacha Chaudhary find Sabu
- How many companies have a digital strategy
- What can we mine on Mars
- What types of organic compounds are enzymes
- Which game has the greatest educational value?
- Can lift a quadcopter 9 kg
- Why are the Americans no longer making riots
- You should put milk in meat balls
- What is the Lagrangian density
- What is the difference between memorization and discovery
- Did Leo Frank really kill Mary Phagan