Why is there a term African American
Blacks, colored people, PoC ...?
Nazis and KuKluxKlan, that's what many think of when they hear the word "racism". One thing is clear, however: Racism is not just that, it begins on a small scale, for example in language.
Because language can hurt. That this N word, which we would like to forego reproduction at this point, is racist, now seems to have arrived in large parts of society. But how does it look in other words: "black", "colored" or "dark-skinned" - which terms are politically correct today and which are better to be avoided?
"Coloured" is problematic nowadays for two reasons: On the one hand it comes from the racial theory that humans in different "Races" divides. In addition, "colored" is a colonial term and a designation that white people have chosen - that is, a foreign ascription. For this reason, "colored" is now rejected by many people affected by racism.
Generally apply External attributions as critical. Terms chosen by black people and people of color are better.
This includes the term "Black" - with a capitalized "S". "Black" does not mean the color of the skin, but a social position affected by racism. It is a self-designation of people who experience racism and which is accepted by many for this reason.
In the past few years, the designation has also changed "People of Color" enforced as an international self-designation by people who have experienced racism. The term "People of Color" originally comes from the US civil rights movement of the 1960s and is a reappropriation and positive reinterpretation of the derogatory attribution "Colored".
More on the subject:
A topic in the program "Der Morgen" on June 12th, 2020 on SR 2 KulturRadio.
- How are Tylenol and Advil different
- Can pop music be worthy
- What is a Kates Clothing Reverse Auction
- Why do people glorify disturbing films
- What is an SEO Friendly Article
- Can I have my facial pores closed?
- How does it work at Indepay
- What do you think of smart diapers
- Why is hydrogen written as H2
- What is the purpose of the API
- Will Norway eventually cut its taxes?
- What happened to the FunForMobile com website
- What are vertical winds
- Acupuncture has real healing effects
- Is recording in the office a crime?
- How do I behave bubbly and happy
- Why is Alexander Sikandar called
- What does hacking workshop
- Is it easy to learn an instrument?
- What is a SoC FPGA
- Which population group buys the most frequently used items
- Do other religions have a promised land?
- What are conjugated bases and conjugated acids
- How eBay and Craigslist interact