Do we really need grammar
The use of modal verbs is often a problem for German learners. Therefore I would like to briefly explain the use of the modal verbs at this point.
In principle, we use the three modal verbs when we want to say that we are one Task or duty to have. Which modal verb we specifically need depends on how strong the task or duty is and where the task or duty comes from.
With "have to" let's press one Task / duty From the from ourselves comes. We ourselves think or believe that something is ours own task / duty. The task is coming Notfrom another person, but it is ours own task / duty.
I need to eat something. I'm hungry.
Here it is important for the speaker to eat something, because he is hungry. He sees it asHIS Duty / task. So in this situation you use the modal verb HAVE TO.
With "should" we mean Duties / duties / orders, the from another person (s) come. We are expected to do something.
The doctor told me to take the drug every day.
Here comes the job from the doctor and the speaker does what the doctor says. So we use the modal verb hereSHOULD.
But it can be that you have an order / a task / a duty (=> should) thinks himself correct or important. So you make a task / duty your own and therefore use the modal verb HAVE TO. Then of course the speaker can also say it like this:
I have to take the drug. I need it.
Please do not think of English !!!
“Don't have to” does not mean “musn’t”! It really means you don't have to do something. If we"Musn’t" want to say we use "not allowed".
But if we do NOT TO HAVE TO (= needn’t) mean, we use DO NOT NEED + TO.
You don't NEED to clean the kitchen because I cleaned it yesterday.
The verb "should" is a special case.
It comes from SHOULD and can have several meanings.
- SHOULD as Recommendation:
You should be eating less.
You should do more exercise.
Here we have one recommendation, the from another person (s) comes. However, it is only a recommendation, not an order or duty.
- SHOULD as past tense (Preterite) ofSHOULD
I was supposed to be at the dentist yesterday at three o'clock.
We see one here Duty / duty in the past.
The following graphic shows the three verbs.
- Does oxygen have a color?
- There are videos on Pinterest
- Why is silence very important in life
- Am I hacked 1
- Dust can contain something like bacteria
- How does the basal cell carcinoma feel?
- When will Tesla start producing cars in China?
- What is the significance of the ISKON temple
- Why doesn't the world need feminism
- How do finances affect marriage
- Which vegetable has the most beautiful plant?
- Why did you realize that you were loved
- Can spirits be enlightened
- What is the origin of cannoli
- What is the holy book of Taoism
- How is the day divided into hours
- Adults are punished
- How do people write in Braille
- What will help my imagination
- What does Tacos Al Pastor mean
- What is your favorite recipe for matzo
- What are medicinal uses of fruits
- Why is it possible to be humble
- How do I get WHM for free
- Why are no sounds used in modern music?
- Can hats be washed
- What is a complacent liberal
- What is Microsoft Project Scarlett
- Where is the stock market in Mumbai
- How would you describe Chris Cornell's voice
- What does good UX IA
- What should I know about open science
- Can cheese go bad
- What does the Slovenian flag mean